
Well, a stomach virus hit us hard this week. I have been sicker the last 24 hours than in years, and caring for two sick toddlers as well. Now we are feeling better, and I am SO thankful. I must say I love my husband, and his humor. He by the grace of God came home early, and good thing, as my daughter and I were both violently ill for hours, and the other little guy was just able to hold fluids down after being sick for days. It's hard to have sick kids, but almost impossible if one is sick as well. He knew this was my worst nightmare, and he called to me from my hideaway like a coach, "Hey sweetheart, this is it, you are doing great, it doesn't get worse than this". I love that he can make me smile and even laugh during tough moments when I'm miserable. I remember my favorite theology professor saying marriage is where two people lift each other up, and carry one another through the hard times. I had before this viewed marriage and its trials as a burden (only to be endured). Now over the years I have experienced so well, how in God's plan we take turns carrying one another, and being grace for one another. I am comfortable giving, but like most people it's harder for me to be weak and have to receive. It is a great mercy to be carried and I am so thankful. My sweetie is amazing in any medical "moment" and I love that. I now have a strong urge to help people in 3rd world nations fight poor drinking water, etc. after this experience. I had forgotten how truly horrible one can feel. My dear daughter had it the worst, with a cold and cough all week on top of this. Yet despite this she has pure joy. She was able to readily smile and snuggle in between sick episodes. I marvel at her trust, her happiness, and her security at all times. This little girl has had the most pain and sickness her whole life, and it just seems she catches every bug, yet despite this is our "joyful one". I am privileged to watch and learn from her. Johnny had never been sick before, and well, lets say he wasn't too happy about it. He has one hearty constitution, and it's great for me since Leesie seems the opposite. But the joy that comes from learning to deal with pain and be happy despite it, I think that lesson comes only from experience. It's a beautiful thing to see in one so young.
No comments:
Post a Comment