We love the Lord and our dear children so much! We strive to give them a childhood filled with His love and grace.
Mother Theresa
Monday, December 29, 2008
Ha, ha
We were delivering a Christmas card (one of about 85) to our Dominican priests who so beautifully serve our parish. I had a card and the picture of the kids, and at the last minute couldn't find the family form "letter" that goes with it. Two toddlers may have made off with it. So I quickly grabbed one of the last two unaddressed envelopes on the way out the door. As we were leaving mass, Father mentioned to us we could leave the card in the sacristy. As I was walking up to deliver it, I suddenly had the urge to check the form letter I had quickly stuffed into it. On almost all of the others I had written a quick note on the bottom. Sure enough I grimaced and removed the letter. My dear husband said, "Hey, what are you doing?" I replied, "I can't give them this one". "Why not?" he asked. "Well, I would be telling three Dominican friars who we see every week, "We miss you so much, and especially your very adorable children." Bill started laughing, and replied, "Oh you must put it back, they need a laugh, it will do them some good." Needless to say, I left it out. Only one of them knows us pretty well, and he had just left on vacation. But now I am wondering how many strange, odd comments I have written to the wrong people in 85 other letters, which were written late at night when I should have been sleeping. Oh well, I hope I get points for effort. That's the great thing about our faith, I know someone out there does know how hard we try.
Well since I'm reflecting on our mistakes this reminds me of something else that happened at that same mass. The children were in beautiful matching holiday attire, and Bill and I were looking remarkably coordinated and the bonus to me was we in matching outfits to each other as well. We could have sat for a picture. Then I realized we were able to get ready without rushing, and were on time, had a good breakfast, everything was running smooth (of course we were attending the later Mass). So I was thinking, "Finally, we did it, good job, this is how it should go every week." Though usually we attend the early mass, and usually things happen beyond our control. Like the time the bird flew through our garage into the house and went wild banging from large window pane to pane, in a panic. I tried for 10 or 15 minutes to get him out and then failing that I left and was late for mass. Did I mention Bill was out of town and I had to leave the yucky bird and handle two toddlers alone? Then I returned and cleaned every surface the bird could have touched in the house for hours. Yucky bird, but the kids loved the whole adventure. Another story. So I was pleased on this day, as a mother can be since I get to (have to) dress my children and my sweetie and he had a new sweater on which looked good. It's hard to find clothes for a sequoia, and when I do, I feel an accomplishment, or at least relief, task completed. At that very moment I looked over at my big guy with pride only to see my husband in his new sweater with the tags still firmly attached, hanging out in plain view, including the price. This was visible as we had just changed placed after communion and it was almost at the end of mass. I turned purple and nearly cried trying not to laugh out loud. Bill whispered, "You told me not to take off the tags off until you saw if it fit." I gave him the 'look' that has been developed over nine years of marriage. "So you never told me if it fit..." He looked so innocent. I think he enjoyed the whole thing, being remarkably detached from his appearance, and his long history of knowing just how to leave me embarrassed. I also realized just then he had not shaved in four days as he was beginning to grow a Christmas beard. I have decided to remind myself no matter how hard I try, we will never ever have every detail in order. We'll just have to be content with our best effort and the opportunity to entertain those around us who have an eye for detail.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment