We love the Lord and our dear children so much! We strive to give them a childhood filled with His love and grace.


"God has not called me to be successful; he has called me to be faithful. "
Mother Theresa

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Annelise, is she really two?

Our little girl, our sweet feminine gift, is growing so fast I can't believe it. She is not even 2 1/2, but she wants to be big. She dresses herself, wants to pick her clothes (oh no) she likes to brush her own teeth, (we hide the big toothpaste now) wash her own face and hair. She walks down stairs, opens doors with safety covers on them, gets up onto stools and into her car seat and can reach everything without help. (She has challenged my sense of having babyproofed). She uses the potty with very little help, and puts on her own shoes and sometimes tights alone. Her favorite sentence seems to be, "Leesie can do it, Mommy". She recently started bringing me the phone, and now she goes to Joseph's timeout place on her own when she is feeling frustrated and "needs a moment." She gets upset if she can't do something, but rather than crying dejectedly, she runs crying to her spot and gathers herself and then comes back happy. It's much better coping then the few tantrums we've seen, so we encourage it. I think I might go stand there myself a few times this week. She even has decided to be a good Mommy to her baby dolls, trying to make them food, (oh yes, what a mess) and take them places. She likes to help as much as possible in the kitchen. She tries to help make pancakes,(pouring raw batter over the cooked ones) and stir food (yes all over our clothes) or watch at the stove (she had her first burn and now knows what "hot" means). She tries to open doors, to sit on her own at Church,(even if she falls off the kneeler, she smiles and gets right back up). She can be found wearing Mommy's shoes and lip gloss and sometimes even makeup, and I believe thinking she is "big" whenever possible. So when the occasional day comes when she returns to feeling shy and wants to snuggle, well I am happy to oblige. Sadly it's usually when she feels crummy, but that's okay. It is so wonderful to see her new accomplishments. Yet this past few weeks I can't help but feel that seeing them combined with her language skills and height, I feel like I am losing my little toddler. Well, literally she is growing out of everything. She often reminds me so much of Joseph in the size and language areas. It also amazes me that people think she is the adopted one (if it comes up). I think it's all great, but funny too. Then watching her makes me love the fact that Johnny has his snuggly little toddler body instead of the super long, tall genes we see in the other two. He also knows how to play up the little chubby cheeked flirty smile. So my little girl gets to pretend to be the older one for a while. She is just getting so big, so fast.

No comments: