
We had such a beautiful Easter. It was the type of holiday I want to continue and hate to see end. We were blessed to have both of my sisters here to visit! We were so blessed at our Church where the Sacred Liturgy was celebrated with reverence and joy. We could feel the excitement amidst the community as families like our own, rejoiced after having immersed themselves into lent and the triduum. There was great beauty to the eye and ear, and we drank it in. Our three kids were from the moment they awoke filled with such excitement. Amazingly they all still revel in the wonder that the bunny hid the eggs and brought them each special little gifts (games, books, candy, little toys, and of course a chocolate bunny). We watched them hunt for the decorated hard boiled eggs inside, and plastic eggs outside. John and Annelise couldn't have been more delighted. Joseph was fast and quite the detective, and now even the guide for his siblings. The weather was crisp and sunny, and the blossoms were on the trees and the spring bulbs were blooming. Nature's decorations after a weary winter are lovely to behold.
I have found with all there is to do, I am usually very tired on Easter (like Christmas). I decorate, I bake, I sometimes host, (and want to stay up talking and catching up) and before all this I have taken time to clean, and coordinate clothes for everyone, etc. I had no idea how much Mom's do as a child. I always want to call my Mom and thank her on the eve of holidays. It's usually 1 am or later before I get to sleep, so I don't. Sometimes I even (last year) briefly forget (shame on me- due to exhaustion) how wonderful it is to be able to do all this. Not this year, instead I was more rested and capable of being more reflective and grateful for everything God is and has done. I am glad for the blessings of a job and a stable home, for the material gifts that make life less weary. I could forgive myself for the busyness of our life, as this is part of the season when they are small. I always want more time to read, and pray, and be. I was reminded how short a time it is I can help surprise my little people, and how the goodness of these little things can be a transition for them to true awareness of the real meaning of the celebration.
He has risen, He has overcome the darkness, we have reason to hope, He is alive. It has seemed that there is so much darkness, disappointments, and suffering all around. With everything going in the world to shed a tear over, I am happy to just keep thanking Him for this season, reminding us of Him, of His love. We are the people of hope, and this infinite hope does not disappoint. My children love their "treats and surprises" because they are fun and special. I love providing them, and getting to see their joy. They want to dance and sing and laugh after a little taste of their treats. I watched them bubble over with delight like only small children do. I know our Lord has that same love for us older, tired, weary ones who can forget He is ever watching over us, with more care and attention then we can fathom. I am grateful that in the mass I was deeply aware that the heaviness and darkness of the world, the weariness from fighting the noble uphill and sometimes weary battle for ourselves, our family, and our nation, is simply temporary and we too can and must rejoice and rest in Him. I am thankful He made a way, He is our hope, and He is our peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment