We love the Lord and our dear children so much! We strive to give them a childhood filled with His love and grace.


"God has not called me to be successful; he has called me to be faithful. "
Mother Theresa

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Dressing Up-Using our Imagination

We found some terrific quality costumes, and they are bringing the kids lots of joy. Joseph has always loved Robin Hood, first the cartoon and then the Errol Flynn movie and the book. So when I happened upon the costume for a terrific deal I was thrilled, but he was even more so. In the afternoons, almost every day this week, he became Robin Hood and played outside with his bow and arrow with friends. I also came upon a frog and a tiger. The toddlers have decided Johnny is the frog and Leesie is the tiger, at least for this week. Johnny went around "ribbiting" and hopping, looking so cute. Leesie would do a feminine growl or meow and prance around. She really liked having a tail too (one more accessory, she loves those accessories). Sometimes Johnny is also Dr Little, and or an Indian Chief or Squanto. Sometimes Leesie is a fairy or little Bo peep, or an Indian girl. It is so fun to dress up, to pretend we're in another land and time.
Joseph rose early this week and we had quiet time together to pretend, something he loves to do. He was a talking trumpeter swan, and I was a mermaid, who could shrink at times when necessary (to fit on his back to fly). I could also walk as my fins became legs when on land. We became these characters and acted out scenes. We felt very far away, like when we read, and I love it. He dove for watercress (in our Cal-King bed, it makes a great pond). Then we flew across the U.S. and over to France, where we explored the city and slept near the Eiffel Tower. We made time also at bedtime, I would lay down for a few minutes after the babies we bathed, read to, sang to and snuggled. I really wanted to finish my chores up and go to my own bed. But Joseph has a way of asking that is so dear. He held me tight one night and said, "I love this so much, sometimes I wish there weren't the babies, so we could do this all the time." He partly said this because Johnny realized Mommy was in the room and began belly laughing and diving into his crib (crib belly bounces) to get my attention. Sometimes Joseph misses having Mom available all the time and all to himself, and sometimes I miss that too. We used to have an abundance of imaginative moments. It was really hard having only one child, but we made it special and fun too. Then two wonderful babies came and Mommy was too tired and she would forget her character or worse fall asleep. Joseph was always understanding about it, but he lost a good play buddy. It just reminded me to make the time now that I can again to "be" with him before he moves ahead and doesn't want to pretend with Mom anymore. Now that the babies are a bit older and more independent I am finding more moments where I am free and they are happily playing together. I will always treasure being Joseph's princess, or the maiden he saves from the dragon, or the thumbelina he rescues and delivers home safely.

No comments: