We love the Lord and our dear children so much! We strive to give them a childhood filled with His love and grace.
Mother Theresa
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
They're out!
My life has changed forever and I can never go back. Both my children have realized they can easily, almost effortlessly, climb out of their cribs. For over a year I have been accustomed to waking up to, "Mommy, I'm awake now, come get me" at 7:30 or 8 am, followed by songs and patient talking until I roll out of bed, or finish a quick shower and scoop them up. Now I am awakened by two exuberant toddlers who bounce onto my bed at 7 am full of giggles and endless energy. Or worse I hear them running down the hall and stairs to the kitchen. Now this alone, I could roll with. But the past few weeks I've been adjusting to life without breaks, (sigh, no Tiffany) and a husband who's been sick with stomach problems who also needed TLC. Plus we were blessed with opportunities to help some families in need, (various different ways for Bill and I) and I coordinated extra play-dates and summer activities, and new types of cooking. It has been an exhausting couple weeks. I was consoled by my theology professor Dr Regis Martin who said, "Anyone who doesn't believe in original sin has never had a two year old." Whew, he should know, he had nine himself. I thought that was funny before I had two toddlers. Now I KNOW more of what he meant.
So the little munchkins decided if the crib no longer is a space with barriers, well then maybe every rule they've ever been taught can be broken as well. Nap times are now, lay down and sneak out and use up all the toothpaste making an art project in the bathroom sink until Mom hears us time. Bedtime is sneak out while guests are talking to Mom and Dad and put on Mom's makeup and destroy their bathroom times. These children who I would have described as delightful and pretty well behaved, turned into rascals, little rebellious, difficult, and even sneaky urchins who just happen to be very cute overnight. They have tried getting their own art supplies from the art closet, that was a small disaster. They have tried making their own snacks, more disaster, although now a picture of them would be funny. I am also realizing, I have been trying to teach them new responsibilities, like picking up, and buttering their own toast, and using the potty independently. They are having a lot of new good skills emerging, but along with this has come some crazy attempts at independence. Johnny tried leaving the house and walking across the street to our friend's home to play. The worst was the other morning when Johnny woke at 6 am and I found him sitting on the kitchen counter, eating candy (placed up high in a treat bag for good children who go on the potty) and he was playing with Mom's very sharp knife set. He had taken apart the scissors. He couldn't really talk his way out of that one. I don't think he'll do that again. Mommy is now determined to provide patient, constant, deliberate consequences for bad behavior. Daddy has been an amazing supplier of balanced objective support and encouragement ("take a deep breath, and remember calm consequences"). I'm finally reaping some rewards for this labor. But there are scars, on the walls a few rugs, some clothes, and my heart for being so frustrated and disappointed in them. (Nail polish, marker, makeup, normal toddler moments, but days when I wasn't sure I liked this new role of spending every moment redirecting them toward safer activities and away from mischevious ones. ) Thankfully it has been a good opportunity to remind me to be humble, and to take my job as a Mother seriously. If I don't, my house -or worse they -could be really harmed in a short time by their inquisitive and energetic endeavors. And I realized I could spend these precious years raising them frustrated if I don't pray for the grace to be good and kind and use calm consequences. I found out the hard way that time out in corner (with arms overhead if necessary) works better than "Stop that you are SO naughty!!!" It takes more energy and patience and I can see why people yell at or give up on their kids. Thankfully everything is returning to equilibrium, a peaceful home, with a few more moments in corners and a few more toys confiscated, and a few less thoughts of "Lord, can these be my children?" I thank God for all these moments, easy and hard, for each one of us to learn to be good, and kind, and well behaved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment