We love the Lord and our dear children so much! We strive to give them a childhood filled with His love and grace.


"God has not called me to be successful; he has called me to be faithful. "
Mother Theresa

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The boys having fun

Look at how those cheeks puff every time he swings! "I luuuuv this Joseph." This summer has seen so much big boy play and friendship between Joseph and Johnny, and of course Dad. Much of it has centered around baseball. Joseph semi-reluctantly took on baseball, which has now become a real leisure time pursuit (Mariners with Dad), and passion as a sport he enjoys and excels in. He regularly asks to "throw the ball" when Dad comes home, and independently practices drills for throwing and hitting almost everyday. It took boatloads of encouragement and hard work for this love of playing the game and confidence, and skills to occur. Johnny on the other hand, happened to pick up a plastic bat and ball at a friend's cook-out, and placed them on the standing tee and began smacking balls across the yard. Now I mean smacking! I've never seen a small tike hit like this! It took another Dad to point it out to me how nice his swing was at first. He had never watched this on TV, I only know he perhaps had seen Joseph practice a few times this year, and last year all season. (Joseph has a tee, but is working on coach pitch this year.) Much to our amazement, and the guests present at this cookout, Johnny had a natural, beautiful swing, with incredible power. In addition, he is ginning from ear to ear, and he belly laughed with every hit, then he would independently run to retrieve the ball, and then hit the tee again, announcing, "Watch this!!". Was this our child? Where did such an amazing focus, and sense of purpose and accomplishment come from? I was stunned to see Johnny stay focused for over an hour on a 95 degree sweltering afternoon, when there were many other fun happenings (pinatas) and delicious food (cake and treats) that could have distracted him. Instead he had found a natural love, he had discovered some of his own gifts. As a mom, who didn't grow up with baseball, I just was delighted to see him so happy. I finally hauled him inside, cherry cheeked, and balking, for water and a meal. He has weeks later continued on with this love, and now we have that same tee and it remains his favorite activity of the summer. We are blessed to have such thoughtful friends to give it to us. So the boys, through their own separate paths have discovered a love of baseball, and share the game despite their different ages and abilities.
A short time after discovering he could hit, Joseph presented Johnny with his first "glove" a left handed real baseball glove. Johnny was elated, he treasures his real glove, and was so grateful to be just like his big brother. The color and style matched Joseph's and he had longed for months for one of his own. (This longing is something we think every child should experience, and we purposely delay some gifts to allow for this). The longing was rewarded. Johnny now loves to throw the ball, with whoever will play, for much longer than anyone ever intends to play with him. I must say though, it's amazing how much fun it is to do, and how much joy it brings. Now Annelise has a little glove, which is sitting at her feet, while she draws and colors and the boys throw the ball in the yard. How very different a summer it is, to have children engaged in activities they enjoy for a real length of time. I once thought baseball was a liability, another thing that kept me from ever getting to spend time with my dear husband. (I confess I succumb to this unfortunate temptation given to wives whose husbands work long unpredictable hours, somehow forgetting these amazing men desperately need leisure to balance their intense lives). Now I am thankful for baseball, for the many joys it has brought our lives, and the countless hours of laughter and fun.

No comments: