The little people were beside themselves with excitement. We decided after one house to put our baby giraffe in the stroller with her blankets to stay warm, and off she went to sleep for the next hour of walking the neighborhood. We made it around the block and added gloves, hats, and boots and stroller cover to keep going. We liked seeing the neighbors we usually don't and know we won't see much of in the winter ahead.
Finally we returned home for hot tea, and the fireplace. The funniest thing of all was coming in and taking off the layers. Everyone quickly took off their layers and costumes and curled up around the fire, except one. I asked Leesie, the giraffe why she didn't take off her giraffe costume, and get comfy. She was standing there awkwardly giving the little giraffe a final hug, then blushed and said, "Well I can't....I just haven't anything else on." The rest of us had three layers, had been shivering our way through the rain and wind of the night or even had a blanket to answer the door, and realizes she was out with nothing but that silly costume on, well we just found that really funny. She did remember her face paint though. So on her 6th birthday evening, she spent a freezing night walking and running the neighborhood in the dark as a happy giraffe. "Weren't you cold," I asked her? To which she replied, "Yes I really was!" Then off she ran upstairs to grab warm pajamas, her front tooth half out, and her smile big as ever. It wasn't lost on us, that nights like tonight really are part of the fun of childhood. I still remember some cheerleaders and zombies we passed in the night saying, "Hey, did I just see a giraffe??"
Yes, that would be us! "A Momma giraffe, and this is my baby."





1 comment:
I love the Halloween attire! It was a very cold Halloween but I am very happy to see everyone made it out! Looks like everyone is doing well which I am very happy to see and I will sent an email update soon it has been crazy around here!
Post a Comment