We love the Lord and our dear children so much! We strive to give them a childhood filled with His love and grace.


"God has not called me to be successful; he has called me to be faithful. "
Mother Theresa

Friday, March 16, 2012

Seven Months Old! Life has been going fast...


Well another month is flying by and I am forgetting to take a minute and blog. I will go back and fill in. This is the year of long days, that run together like watercolors on paper. In between schooling an ambitious 5th grader, two kindergardeners and the wonderful world of this little baby I feel like the days are a blur.  I'm going more directions than I ever have. I have been trying to take everyone to two weekly co-ops, (getting ready, presentations ready, homework done, last minute diapers changed and out the door early). Then I am helping with teaching, helping with Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, trying to cook real, healthy food, and trying to keep a clean, simply ordered home when we are busy and home a lot. We added sports, and I realized without the driving help from Auntie there was no way I could manage without utter exhaustion or pre-made dinners taking over. We don't want processed food or fast food, so instead must cook and cooking takes time.  So I try to squeeze it all in, and be available to the kids, and sometimes I am able to do it all well. But not all the time, not with a baby drawing me into her beautiful world. So in the effort to juggle our family needs well every day, spending time on the computer seems to be better when it is limited to logistical email and world news.

For taking care of young children, for the day to run smooth and learning to occur, Mom is busy helping set up, feeding, instructing, reminding, correcting, and then picking up. There is this adorable baby here too who like all babies believes the world needs nothing more than time infinite to rock, feed and soothe and be smiled at. When I stop and gaze at her, I completely agree. She is like all babies, priceless and engaging. When the kindergardeners play, they want to share what they've done, or found, or who has won and how, or ask where something is or tell me who is naughty. They too are quite passionate and with them one wants to stop and be with them in their moment. Some moments are longer than others. Every bit of discovery and feedback helps them put their quests and discoveries into perspective and slowly own their own world.

 Then my dear ten year old, the original deep brown eyed thoughtful child, is into discovery and reflection and constant learning, and his fiction books create serious imagination. His love language is time. Need I say more? This equals infinite number of interruptions for deep, random thoughts which he wants to share and a day that is rich with these moments of depth and random fleeting acts of his newfound humor. He loves languages, codes, Latin, Spanish, and puzzles too. Now he is following a schedule, but in between structured learning are breaks to share so much, and I am so happy he shares so freely.

 Deep random thoughts and deeper scientific questions, infused with elementary nagging, and a baby's babbling has left me whirling and savoring the quiet moments when they come, usually in the evenings. On one hand, I know this stage will end soon, and I will miss the time when they wanted feedback so much, and when my feedback matters. On the other hand, without moments of quiet one wants to dive under the covers and fein sickness or dream of silence on a sandy beach. Sometimes my thoughts honestly feel more like a small town where a series of twisters have touched down than an adult mind in charge of running these young lives.  I am left to gather the debris that are whirling with random thoughts. Then other times, like when a night of good sleep or workout comes, the joy of our stage in life is just savored.  I wish I could have the joy of a new baby and the joy of a night of being rested at once. Not so this year, but maybe next things will be better.


 The kids are growing bigger and learning more and trying new things. They all are stretching, growing taller so very fast. This year we really are focusing on right away listening and obeying with Johnny and Leesie. We focus on respect and kindness too. We really have times which are fun, exciting, entertaining, and then when I am preoccupied or not available or present they are mischievous, whiney and challenging. There is no shortage of opportunities to learn, and to grow and to love each other. Discipline is an art form I am deciding takes so much more than I knew. There is so much more patience needed to discipline consistently than I ever dreamed. But it's paying off, as they become secure, and know how to be thoughtful, and careful with their actions.



But this amazing baby love, little Elena. We hold her, we focus on her every need, and we enjoy her and the time is going fast. She brings us such happiness to watch her grow and change and everyday get to know her more and love her more. Tired or not, she is a joy, and a sweet, chubby, happy, wonderful little baby.





 Elena reached seven months faster than we can believe. She is this week crawling forward, sitting independently, and now pulling to stand in her crib. She is miss 'perpetual motion'. She wants to go all the time, and now less interested in the jump up and more interested in being with us, showing us what she can do. She is wonderful, healthy, and amazing and it is so fun to watch her grow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The baby and the kids are getting so big!!!