We love the Lord and our dear children so much! We strive to give them a childhood filled with His love and grace.


"God has not called me to be successful; he has called me to be faithful. "
Mother Theresa

Monday, March 28, 2011

Learning time

Spring oh spring where art thou? We are definitely looking forward to green grass, birds, flowers, and green trees to replace the gray, barren cold of winter. We are ready to be outside and enjoy the longer coming days. In the meantime, school has been fun for the kids. Annelise and Johnny both are learning letters, sounds, songs, cutting, pasting, and now they are learning to put away everything they take out, throughout the day. They have lots of reading, music, puzzles, games, and make believe. They get an occasional video, too for good behavior. Now we've added boot camp, or rather, "Get ready for Mom to have a baby" camp. So the recruits are learning to help put away their folded laundry, put back toys before getting another, and straight there areas of jurisdiction throughout the day. They had some habits down but they all but disappeared during early pregnancy nausea. I really learned that the energy of guiding throughout the day really molds good habits. So thankfully now Mom's better, and the ship's running much smoother with a Captain back fully on deck. Mom's playing catch up in organizing desks, closets, corners, etc. and the house is looking much better. I am always amazed at how much organization (and cleaning) is part of homemaking and home education. I don't enjoy the process, but I love it when it's done. Order does really bring tranquility as people find what they need, know where things go, have their clothes and toys in their place, and also that the utility companies get their money on time. The biggest challenge is not to think about when it will be undone or that it was in vain.

Joseph is an amazing learner. He loves his schedule, and he knowing what is expected of him. He daily plays piano, completes math, reading, latin, Spanish, and the bulk of his school on his own each day. Once his area is organized and he knows what to do when, he is able to focus and check off each thing for the day. He likes having his quiet time to focus, away from siblings, and then he emerges and tells us all about what he's learned and the latest thing he's interested in. He has two amazing classes which lay out a lot of information each week to memorize and he relishes diving in. They give him an opportunity to give a speech twice a week, based on a different given theme. He has learned tons of geography by studying and tracing his maps, he studies his timeline and writes about a time period, he memorizes history sentences, and he enjoys all types of science. He really is a joy to help learn. The biggest thing for Mom is guiding the curriculum, making sure he stays focused (instead of saying getting lost in the Dangerous Book for Boys, or Redwall for a couple hours, or playing with siblings instead of completing chores) and helping him with writing and grammar. He likes a sounding board to discuss material, and narration is really fun, since his memory is so sharp.  Joseph also does jumprope and baseball drills and fitness routine (less fun on our own) and gymnastics and art and some classical music study. Sometimes we are jealous seeing how much he has learned and how well he will be able to think and reason, and hunger to learn more. Learning how to think and learn well is our quest, and watching this arrow soar farther than his parents has begun at a tender age.  He loves his classes, he is growing in confidence, humor, and independence. So coordinating and getting us to everything has definitely made a full year for Mom, but seeing him grow and even flourish with these opportunities has been its own reward.

I find the great temptation is always there of being misunderstood and even criticized for our choices. Few Moms choose to stay at home, and fewer would home educate. I watch the neighbor kids board the bus at 8:15. I see my neighbors in their designer workout suits and yes they have a great body thanks to the daily gym routine. They read the latest books, gather their own thoughts, have their facebook page updated daily and they look very attractive and they "care for themselves" well. I can't say I have done as well in this realm. I am tired, I am pregnant, and I feel it.  But their houses are empty during the day, their lives they complain are overrun with busyness, no time together as a family and feeling they are reduced to a chauffeur role, making quick dinners, and coordinating busy evening routines and events. They compete to have any time at all with their kids between the school, the homework, the sports, and the screen time. We all have to make choices and there is no way in this world to "have it all." That understanding only comes with time and maturity, and often mistakes. Every choice has consequences and repercussions. There are many things I wish I could do but can't always find time for. Sometimes I just have to let go of, and I miss. But I am so thankful for this: to have time to watch my kids grow and learn, and truly know them, and have my house full. It's true Mom likes a quiet walk, a trip to the store in solace, and as many workouts in peace as I can squeeze in.  It's true I don't get half as much as I want to done each day, the laundry is never done, and I haven't read as much or followed all the news, or often even gathered my own thoughts. It's a juggle to keep one's kids home throughout the year, and not use the screens to entertain all day long. It's an easy temptation.

 We've decided to put being present to our kids first, and trying to ask them to be present to this world as well. No checking out in their screen for hours at a time. We love computers, we need them, but we make sure they serve us. We are taking on the journey of home education rather than delegating, placing them and our relationship to them often before ourselves. This seems really odd and misdirected to many, and usually I've given up trying to explain it. But we're now seeing the fruit in kids who are learning how to learn, learning to be well spoken, polite, kind, good, and most of all knowing they are loved. Also, and most importantly in the long run, our kids love God, they know he watches over them, and that this journey is short, and our goal is simply to be with him. Whenever anyone dies, or any tragedy occurs the kids say the person is being "carried by angels to be with Jesus." They see their job is to love others, pray for others and to see beyond this limited culture of superficiality and selfishness which is becoming more crass each day. Our kids have a taste for the good, the true, the noble and the beautiful, despite the culture around them that swims in the mire and encourages children to dive in as well. Giving them the best we can, even when it means we give up our own loves, has been the journey of parenthood we have embraced. Seeing the smallest buds and fruit begin to form in our garden is truly it's own reward and reason enough to stay the journey.

No comments: