We love the Lord and our dear children so much! We strive to give them a childhood filled with His love and grace.


"God has not called me to be successful; he has called me to be faithful. "
Mother Theresa

Friday, February 12, 2010

Spelling Bee Runner Up

Joseph took part in his second spelling bee today. This time he competed with the 4th-8th graders in the Northside Homeschool Spelling Bee. He placed 2nd as the runner up for the regional spelling bee, and first in his grade level. We are so proud of him. I am not so proud really because he ranked well, but because he practiced (more last year than the recent months) and because he did his best. Last year he didn't advance because the skill of speaking in front of a crowd, into a microphone, was daunting. He was an excellent speller on paper, but showing it in this new venue was more challenging. He was nervous and uncomfortable and didn't enjoy the day. I wasn't sure if it would be years before the ability to stand in front of a crowd with confidence could occur. So today, to see him do well, approach the microphone with focused confidence, and participate with the older kids, and enjoy himself, at eight years old, that's what made me proud. I love seeing my kids break through a fear or move beyond an area that seems an overwhelming challenge. I think piano performances and sports have helped this a lot. I was so busy today trying to keep my own little ones and other little ones from being a distraction I didn't realize he was in the top 10. Then it quickly became clear he had a chance to win. Unfortunately for "conundrum", he will need to try again next year. It was good to see an eighth grader win, since it was his last year to compete. A fun day and a fun opportunity this was for us. We have a renewed excitement for spelling words around here.

No comments: